Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Home Sweet Ecuador

One of my favorite movies growing up was the Wizard of Oz. I remember watching it on VHS when I'd spend summer days at my grandparents. That and Milo and Otis, along with Rainbow Brite. Oh, I loved me some Rainbow Brite (see the shining light, yes I'm gonna take ya to Rainbow Brite) Sorry. Anyway, back to the Wizard of Oz, we all know the magic ruby red slippers, three taps and say "There's no place like home." And ta-da, she's back in Kansas again. Well, there have been many times in the last 2 and a half months where I've wanted to tap my heels together and go somewhere else. Where you ask? Ecuador.

Now, most of you know that our friends, Glenn and Marilyn, are doing mission work in Ecuador. They've been living a town in northern Ecuador called Otavalo since February. Marilyn is teaching English in two of the villages near by and Glenn keeps her in line. :] In July we went on a mission trip to Ecuador, though I haven't blogged about our trip there and our experiences (that's what this blog is about) I've been thinking about it a lot. I'm flat out jealous of Glenn and Marilyn because they are in Ecuador. Ok, ok, let me take you back 2 years. This time two years ago, Daddy and I were getting ready to make our first trip to Ecuador. I didn't know what to expect seeing as I had never been out of the country before (I don't really count the 3 hours spent in Pregresso, Mexico an "out of country" experience). We packed our bags, lightly, since we knew we going to have to bring back a lot of gifts. It was an exciting time. When we arrived in Quito (the capital) it was around midnight and we weren't sure about anything. It was dark and the only thing we saw from the plane looked like the bottom of a well with shiny pennies in it. (It was gorgeous, don't get me wrong). Once we got through customs, there was a man standing there greeting us, he introduced himself as Victor. I didn't know who he was but he shuffled us through the airport and to a bus. We put our things in the storage space and climbed in. We then met Blanca, she was the Executive Director of FEDICE, the non-profit we were working with. We drove the 2 hours to Otavalo (only about 60 miles or so away) and arrived at our hotel. The rest of the week was filled with shopping and painting and smiling and loving. I became attached to a little girl named Nellie, she was about 4 or so but she looked like she was 2. She followed me around the daycare center everywhere I went. On the last day in Caluqui, the village had a dedication service for the daycare, there were lots of villagers there and I felt comforted in the fact that I had helped this small village that I may never even see again. I said good bye to Nellie and wondered if I would ever see her again. I cried. To see how these people lived and the smile on their faces because I helped build a place for their small children to go was one of the best feelings I had ever had and I was happy. Genuinely happy. And I was in love.

Near the end of 2009, the adults had a meeting and exchanged some emails on where to go this year. I voted Ecuador first. I couldn't wait to get back there. Well of course, Ecuador won. So on June 30th we were to set off again on an 8 day Ecuadorean trip. This time I made Mom go. She didn't have a choice. So the three of us anticipated this trip for months. However, right before we left, I got caught up in some issues (See Getting a Divorce). It was the perfect time (and worst) to get out of the country, to run away from these issues and my life in the States. I needed a break. We got to the airport early, where Mom and I decided to have Maudie's (YUM) and a margarita before our plane ride to Houston (the alcohol came in handy when we missed our connecting flight in Houston). After flying from Austin to Houston to Caracus, Venzuela to Bogata, Columbia and FINALLY into Quito, I felt like a little piece of me was home. I remember going out into the main part of the airport and seeing Blanca there waiting. I was happy again. That week was one of the best weeks of my life. I almost didn't come back. We worked in another village near Otavalo and the people there were all the same. They didn't know us but they loved us. We visited Caluqui one afternoon as we pulled up there she was, my sweet Nellie I hadn't gone a day without thinking about. Just like it was two years ago, she followed me around the daycare center. She showed me her little brother. When it was time to go, she walked up the hill with me, I asked where her house was and she pointed towards our bus. Once we got to the top of the hill, I asked again. She once again pointed to the bus, I told her that I was going on the bus. After a long hug, she walked around to the other side of the bus and started up the hill. How I wanted to stay longer. She would walk a little ways and then turn around, I waved and she waved back. She did this two more times before our bus left the village, the last time I blew a kiss and waved. I was started to cry again. I think about her everyday. How amazing it was to be in Ecuador again. I couldn't get enough of it. I banned myself from the internet that week (good idea, I didn't want my US life interferring). I didn't need the internet that week anyway, I was focused on helping the people of Cachimuel. But I was there, home again in Ecuador.

Since then, I've come close to selling everything I have and moving down there. I might have to wait until January though considering most of my things are in storage. Anyway, I look forward to the day I will return to the beloved country of Ecuador. For then, I will be truly happy.

Anyone have a pair of size 9.5 ruby red slippers?



Nellie and I. July 2010.

1 comment:

  1. I have a pair of small size 10 Ruby Slippers...they're kinda ridiculous though, and if you tried to click the heels together, you'd probably end up breaking an ankle or something.

    ReplyDelete