Sunday, September 12, 2010

Modern Day Jesus

My blog is called Confessions of a Fat Kid, it seems like I should be talking about "losing weight" or "stuffing my face with every sweet thing I see in sight when I'm upset" or my "secret food obsessions". Take it or leave it, I've only had this blog for 2 and a half months so those things haven't really made it in here yet. I've always been a fat kid (it's cool, I'm ok with it). Since I was a kid, I was always bigger and taller than the other girls in my class and most of the boys. And anyone that didn't like me or that got into an argument with me would pull out the fat card. Real cool guys and real original. It's so easy to make fun of someones outward appearance when you're mad at them. Truth is...it doesn't/didn't hurt me. I've heard it since I was 6. My mom raised me to love myself the way I am. The way God created me. If God wanted me to be a size 2 then he would have made me a size 2 (sorry AJ). Sure you can argue with me that it's ME that controls my body, which you would be right partly. But this is how God wanted me to be. I never really struggled with people not accepting me because I was "fat", thanks to my AMAZING personality. (Watch the movie Fat Like Me, staring Kaley Cuoco). I was somewhat popular in school I guess, I know you're thinking a popular fat kid how can this be? I had a lot of friends in a lot of different "cliques" (if you will), I didn't care if they were band nerds (because I was, hahaha), athletes, goth or just a nerd in general, I liked everyone. That's how I was raised, to accept everyone as they are. It was ok with me if someone didn't want to be my friend because I was a fat kid, it was their loss. I'm pretty amazing, if you ask me (and almost everyone else). But like I said, I never not liked someone for their outward appearance.

Today at church our fine preacher, Tim Tutt, told a story about a woman he knew who grew up in Georgia (he told the story better than I'm about to). She died recently at 91. I hope I live to be that old, however I wish it would have been born at the beginning of the 20th century. Yes, I am envious of people like Dorothy Cook (the friend Tim spoke about), PE and Dotty Casey and everyone else born before 1920. He said that Dorothy worked at the pharmacy the town she lived in and she would address envelopes to the townspeople to remind them of their tab there (tab; like a bar tab, I assume). She would address the envelopes "Mrs." or "Mr. So and So". One day while she was addressing the envelopes, the owner of the pharmacy noticed she was addressing all the envelopes "Mrs." or "Mr. So and So"; he said that she was not supposed to address the black townspeople with titles, they were just "S0 and so". Well Dorothy Cook, waited for a minute and then basically told the owner that she was going to address everyone "Mrs." or "Mr. So and So" whether he liked it or not. Dorothy Cook didn't care whether someone was black or white. There's someone else we know who didn't care either. Jesus.

Jesus was a man who let anyone be his friend, he let everyone come to him. Children. Lepers. Even sinners. Now, as Tim talked about Dorothy cook he also mentioned the preacher in Florida who was planning a Quran burning. While listening Tim's sermon this morning I thought WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE THESE DAYS?! I mean, seriously. Between banning gay marriages, making fun of fat people and Quran burnings, people are ridiculous. This preacher in Florida is ridiculous, yes there are "bad" Muslims in this world, but not all Muslims are bad. I mean...really, I'm just flabbergasted at the fact that a Christian preacher would say this, let alone schedule for a burning of another religions holy book. It's people like him that make Americans and Christians "look bad". Just like I said about Muslims, not all Christians are bad. This preacher has obviously lost his mind, who does he think he is? Who do a lot of people think they are? There are things that Bible says we should and shouldn't do. Like we should love our neighbor as ourself or that we should not eat pork (hmmm, I definitely had a sausage biscit this morning AND sausage for dinner :/). Love your neighbor as yourself. Huh. Why is this so hard for people to understand let alone for them to do? This goes back to what I said about people making fun of me for being a fat kid, that's not love. Banning gay marriage, that's not love. Burning another religions holy book, that's DEFINITELY not love.

So, where is the love here people?

1 comment:

  1. I am absolutely certain there is love in the UCC preschool Sunday School class! Thank you Sam for loving our baby girl!

    ReplyDelete