Wednesday, September 8, 2010

November, where are you?

I was born November 15th, 1987. Yes, I am comfortable disclosing my age to you because I’m not old and/or 30. As I grew up, I learned the best people were born in November and/or the Scorpio “time frame”. I also learned two very important things: go to church on Sundays (but leave as soon as possible if the Cowboys had a noon kick-off) and watch Fightin’ Texas Aggie football on Saturdays. Well I can proudly say I’ve been doing both for the past almost 23 years of my life. Yes, Mom you can be proud of me for actually doing something consistently for that long (I know I didn’t really have a choice for the first 15 years of my life). Everyone knows that November is the best month for football, mostly because it’s Thanksgiving. If your family isn’t watching football on Thanksgiving y’all ain’t Southern and y’all sure ain’t American! Thanksgivings were always at my grandparent’s house when I was growing up, we’d watch the Cowboys in the afternoon and the Aggies at night, that’s a true Texas Thanksgiving y’all.
Now here’s the “twist”, I was born and raised in Austin, Texas. I’ve lived here my entire life, except for those three …interesting semesters at THE University of Mary-Hardin Baylor. Well if you’re from anywhere you know that the University of Texas is housed in Austin. Ugh, the horrid sea of burnt orange during the fall makes me want to toss my lunch. I mean this isn’t a bashing of Texas here, but come on people. Burnt orange really? I mean everyone knows nothing good comes after the word “burnt”. Burnt eggs, burnt toast, burnt coffee and especially burnt orange. Let’s just say that color is definitely NOT in my color wheel. But you’re probably asking yourself how is this girl buried in the world’s ugliest color an Aggie? This is where I’d like to take time to thank my Uncle Curtis for attending AND graduating from Texas A&M University. Without you, well it doesn’t matter I’d never be a Texas fan anyway. People ask me why I’m still living in Austin if I don’t like Texas, I respond with my uncle went to A&M. Their response, “Ok, so?” ok, so I’m an Aggie. That’s how I was raised. I mean some people don’t have a choice in being a Longhorn, that’s the only football team in Austin. We’ve never had an NFL team here, another thanks to Texas. Heaven forbid someone comes along and take the attention away from y’all. Well my choice (or raising, thanks to Curtis) is to be an Aggie, live in Austin, take the trash talking and continue to support the Maroon and White.
My daddy made me a shirt my first couple of Thanksgivings that said “ATMy house for Thanksgiving dinner we have Bevo burgers.” It was soon passed down to my little brother who wore it for a while, and then was retired to one of the 274 boxes we have in storage. However, a new generation has been born into the family and the Bevo burger shirt is going to make a come back this year. My Aunt Kim is definitely going to appreciate it considering everyone on her side of the family is a Longhorn. Thanksgiving is going to be interesting. Makenzi is going to about 8 months old so we can stretch the shirt out for a couple of years, don’t worry Kim it will be better next year when I make her matching overalls.
Some of my favorite childhood memories consisted of going camping in the fall. We’d get our 7 inch TV out with the bunny ears and try to find the Aggie game wherever we might be camping. If that didn’t work we’d just listen to it on the radio. Yes, kids, the radio. Sometimes we’d even watch the game on mute and listen to the live broadcast on the radio. That was only when Brent Musberger was announcing, ugh! those were the worst! Especially if he was announcing the A&M/Texas game, we’d ALWAYS listen to the radio then. We all know you’re a secret Texas fan, Brent, you’re not fooling me, that’s for sure. And it was a shock to see you announcing the Alabama/Texas game last season. Wow, didn’t see that one coming.
In most ways, being a November baby is pretty rockin’ if you ask me. The only bad thing about Novembers, you have to wait 11 months for another one to come around!

1 comment: